查看: 3935|回复: 0

Two Choices

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-5-12 09:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Two Choices
; `+ w; D# S8 Z( H6 g>
/ T' x  d  O# B0 u8 M4 ?0 R> What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line,8 f9 O+ L1 n2 m
> there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the3 g6 z0 `7 Y; G4 ~
> same choice?% s! u; ~* c+ h( \$ T
>
) i  p( d2 F8 G> At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children,
; y' U- t0 L) z% N> the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be* L2 C5 q- `9 ~7 B! [2 Y
> forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated; p, X, u' P2 }% m, r
> staff, he offered a question:- z5 N) j1 _  Q  ~5 t/ l
>
2 v  J8 S8 e# v9 }% V> 'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is
6 q) t" o1 w/ c& T> done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other4 h; i# L  o" q; O$ g
> children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the
  P) C' M$ E  d7 g0 K$ W> natural order of things in my son?'$ @, F8 }% x: ?3 K, T4 L
>
$ Y2 O+ B1 K  M2 A# `9 v> The audience was stilled by the query.
) h" r$ A( h1 o/ t>
( u; B7 y6 J) b# T$ U$ V# _> The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, physically
# A0 c: f5 b* v. f% B$ }  l> and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize
: F: M  {1 N  f( ]1 q4 r3 r> true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people
0 V4 e! G9 ?: M+ f6 j. p& \' C$ V> treat that child.'
# W- ?5 E  n8 G- _2 d7 x>% ]  ]5 [$ X; Z% W/ H/ C
> Then he told the following story:
, Q6 t8 E0 ~% f6 t2 }! \7 {>
" c' r# e2 s: t( J! K. e9 c> Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were: y" r$ P5 x- u
> playing baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' Shay's7 t4 ]0 h6 o1 F! K* {& Q
> father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their6 K( |( X! e/ h- d% c  K
> team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play,
% r/ z1 d, M2 P! f; A> it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be
" u! |( h* x' T& _5 z6 w& {; a> accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.% t" F  B0 a, e0 v$ T. O. n! Z
>
; t2 z: {8 N8 o3 x> Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not
9 W% |. i5 N* z) u, m# p( P> expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and, {% W: g6 z) |
> said, 'We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I6 V! B3 u- M. {- @0 z( R
> guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth
& ~' T0 [4 b3 i9 W> inning.'# w0 l' q5 ^, q# O3 J
>
3 A6 L; m/ P+ n' S' R> Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a/ k2 M& A# |2 m  S# F' d, P
> team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in1 O$ P* ]! ?  M9 c8 \
> his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the$ H7 {. p2 W/ x3 J) m& T, |/ y
> bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still- i; V4 K2 n7 t
> behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and
7 c" ^. j) a4 ]! q> played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was
7 R$ O$ g! ?& l1 b# j> obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from( Z9 m4 R2 ~3 U7 n3 u, Q" @( o
> ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the8 W$ E, {" a5 b) |/ z& n
> ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases
4 H, i- A- c( O4 Z: N% ~> loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be+ W& c; l2 d# f! N4 c, c
> next at bat.
& b7 c1 K" f1 k+ c>& R% l3 \# G0 ^( M
> At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the
* U) F0 A$ {4 W( D" d/ j> game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat Everyone knew that a hit was all6 x& s- ^6 M# D! o# Y$ F2 m
> but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly,% U' T' m7 S/ E6 Q- N* x& w
> much less connect with the ball.
) s4 S; `6 x3 `6 V> However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the
) |2 ]6 p  ?. ]: T) r5 ~> other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved/ E. f" m6 Z" D7 G
> in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make
/ A4 P* L+ a4 T> contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The  K. x) U& P5 H& c# c" ~- x
> pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay.! y( Z% o+ L2 [( z
> As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball, n7 R: h! J9 p1 H
> right back to the pitcher.
! M1 y; u( B# _- n>
1 [( [* |; l1 y# C, V> The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and/ F1 y$ N1 w7 X; ~# j5 b. t
> could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been
* b, Y/ B" ^- x5 M% |, E6 I1 ]> out and that would have been the end of the game.1 l$ |1 d' r; T0 P
>
1 e( c1 P) k3 f> Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out
* c$ {; r, t  J4 v, B( O% v4 n! X> of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started
/ v  X" w+ ^* S# R> yelling, 'Shay, run to first! Run to first!' Never in his life had Shay ever0 C" @$ [4 H% r+ k6 |
> run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline,  z& ]' n3 W- Q" U* j: C2 w
> wide-eyed and startled.
2 b. T3 r  l4 o1 W! o>
$ ]( J& d* q7 Q& h, K, P* `> Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!' Catching his breath, Shay
/ _" p! a3 N  Y8 k> awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the
* h2 D) @  Z; {# k> base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had
$ e: `( D: `6 W% ~> the ball ... The smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to* B6 F# A( ?1 Y4 S  ?
> be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the" J; ]+ x9 [( Y
> second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intention So he,
0 J5 j! [8 _  E, A- z. S> too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's& Z! j' \4 c3 j/ ?8 B. d8 s' ^
> head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him. h$ e) H( p7 U9 a
> circled the bases toward home.
' t" u0 F$ n6 \& G! Q( `0 m7 i>
/ o& k: Z5 [! u9 w" m> All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'1 T; A1 I! j% G
>5 w1 t0 f& P0 ~
> Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by8 R$ F5 E7 J. S/ |+ T2 |! v
> turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third!
; l2 F( _+ c. B, \- u> Shay, run to third!'
- v4 ?' j& d9 Q; E" Z' }>* c* p. {: n! o! Z( y
> As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on( ]" O" I, g& ^$ m/ B! A% _
> their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!' Shay ran to home, stepped
. |+ p6 Z6 @+ h& w7 M) O> on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the
: ~. q/ y) _7 w> game for his team.
+ G( k9 x& V) g' Z>
" x" G& X9 _  V+ @, q5 _> 'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,9 Y! |' k" m7 B9 R. q
> 'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity# A6 w" O4 F5 t. h# O
> into this world'.* f1 S, ]  }! n; ^+ g/ R4 U5 r
>6 ~& F% k: ^! m3 H7 w# S- K
> Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never4 M8 ~- K" m' f
> forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and
& H3 B9 n8 x- n2 E* u> seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!! k( e& x# u' y5 {' s
>. j$ f$ V* x# t5 {: ?* j; B
> AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands of jokes) i) A* T, B0 R6 Z8 E" C/ A9 `
> through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending: w% z* U, F# M8 Y: G
> messages about life choices, people hesitate. The crude, vulgar, and often  ?% m3 u3 Q- T: A9 |
> obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion about decency
' O9 \5 z; o; S) O" H! W> is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.: a& T1 m7 b0 P* w
>
. c( t0 \$ k. Y( I9 e( P> If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're" L% M/ u6 R6 X( H, v
> probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the4 C& J+ z, C' B& l! M9 ?
> 'appropriate' ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person who
- w8 E3 a" p8 }* f! m7 J) m> sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all have
0 S1 k$ l1 w/ {9 V> thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the 'natural8 M2 e* k, H1 ~7 r& C5 \
> order of things.' So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people
9 ~  o' u& p  l$ X) W& J> present us with a choice: Do we pass along a little spark of love and
7 r3 P& k1 V2 u) ?6 K> humanity or do we pass up those opportunities and leave the world a little& o5 d. S. N# }; @0 q
> bit colder in the process?1 e+ q; x) o3 C! j& p, \! D
>
' U/ P3 O8 g* [7 Q; w> A wise man once said every society is judged by, G8 k3 O# K) @) N! H( h$ d8 \, W
> how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.
4 B* P( F* L6 d/ l& q2 ^5 P" ~>+ v  p/ A3 {- x
> You now have two choices:
" W9 d" q' A; t/ e4 P" N5 j! ~> 1. Delete
  i' l) V+ i) l' `/ g> 2. Forward
( r5 f$ {$ J: @8 ^7 D3 K9 u>; y3 r4 R2 `1 d/ _
> May your day, be a Shay Day.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-27 10:20 , Processed in 0.079991 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On, APC On.