注册
查看: 1745|回复: 0

[电工杂谈] English at the Work Place 3

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2010-5-9 14:38 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
English at the Work Place 3, p: n) J7 W; j: T' _" h

! j$ s& D1 Z* s+ T* z% N; K2 o“DAILY SAFETY BULLETINS                     PCL Industrial Construction Inc.
+ u) N3 {0 _9 @3 lDate: May 4, 20103 A2 l; J2 X4 ]
……5 j0 T/ \) P& \0 ^& e+ X
“As they say…. “I’ve been doing this for years” is everyone’s famous last words. For instance, a call came in over the radio, and as I proceeded to go down to the area (as a first-responder), I noticed that I was the 4th person at the scene. A gentleman was lying on his back with a blank stare on his face, in shock and in severe pain. When I asked him what happened, he eas unable to talk, and I thought for sure it was my first fatality by the way he was looking and not moving. Another worker, who was working on the same job, told me the story: They had two sets of chain falls rigged, one across from one another. They were picking up a 24” steel line, approximately 30 feet long, and every time they hauled the chains the gentlemen would put himself in a pinch point situation to left of the pipe. His fellow works told him three times to get out of that position, and he would move saying, ``I`ve been doing this for years and I am 57 years old.`` they explained that chains might make the pipe swing toward that direction and catch him.  he ignored them, as he had done previously, and when the inevitable happened, the 30 feet pipe swung towards the gentlemen, and the flange that was on at the end of the pipe pinched his left leg at the chin just below the left knee, crushing his leg against a steel column that was directly behind him.  He was going to retie after the job. Witch would last only two more months. After the two months following that incident, I heard that the gentleman`s leg would never be the same. …“
9 I: E! W- [% [3 I) n2 h$ g$ ~2 r& h
“DAILY SAFETY BULLETINS                     PCL Industrial Construction Inc.* C$ t7 G" ?8 L- d6 _
Date: May 5, 2010" A- s7 S- _9 G0 W
………" I  U5 Q% B  ?! i' o/ \
Another experience from a co-worker at the RHC site.
; g( Z2 p5 z/ x# KI was working in a reactor during a shutdown on the Syncrude site about twenty years ago. My co-worker and I were in the process of removing an internal overhead manway cover approx 6” above the button of the reactor weighing about 300lbs. We used a hydraulic jack and lowered the cover as far as we could (approx 2”) so we could secure a come-along to it. The idea was to lower the cover down the rest of the way with the come-along. When I attached the come-along I could not get any tension of the chain because the distance between the cover and my rigging point was too short. I knew there were higher rigging points that could allow the come-along to take the weight of the cover before we removed the jack, but I chose not to use them. I told my co-worker to moved out of the way and I kicked the jack out from the cover thinking the come-along would catch the load. The come-along did catch the load. Instead, it fell directly onto my foot. After several hospital visits and 6 weeks off I finally returned to work. When I think about it now I am reminded of the physical and financial pain that 5 minutes of rework would have saved. “; E$ `1 E8 P. c+ d% a+ f

. E) m* c* Z/ XI read PCL DAILY SAFETY BULLETINS.  After discussing the bulletins with members of my crew.  I reconstructed the condition of one bulletin with drawings. I hope it can reflect the real condition. I titled this story as “ Pinch Point”, 1 r4 T) G3 ?1 _, ^0 j7 I
Could you reconstruction the condition of another bulletin ?3 }- @0 X& B3 O+ Y* G- O
DSC05066.JPG
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-10-19 15:23 , Processed in 0.115544 second(s), 12 queries , Gzip On, APC On.