 鲜花( 10)  鸡蛋( 0)
|
http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com ... -and-pipeline-spill
/ X, k1 R8 d aNexen Energy will lay off about 350 workers from its Long Lake facility, following its release of results of internal investigations into a July 2015 pipeline spill and the January 2016 hydrocracker explosion.
9 D6 T P9 L; g5 w6 ^7 c. {" ~+ X/ ?- ]' n3 X
The CNOOC-owned energy company will only be continuing its steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) operations at Long Lake, after it determined a short-term repair was not possible for the hydrocracker unit, which killed two employees when it exploded on Jan. 15, 2016.
7 q1 I _/ X8 h- j8 o2 o0 t5 Y
2 x# L9 N, @1 f, w' R' zThe facility's upgrader has been idling since then, and will be moved into winter preservation, with no estimation of when it will be brought back into service.
1 ^/ @6 b; L( ~7 @5 ]8 [2 k6 }6 Y; f4 T
An internal investigation found the explosion was a result of work being performed that was "outside of the scope of approved work activities."
{4 ~& a* ^, m f R9 [. V' Y( h" ?# K
The two employees killed, both Fort McMurray residents, were 52-year-old Drew Foster and 30-year-old Dave Williams. Foster was killed in the explosion. Williams, who was flown to the University of Alberta Hospital's burn unit hours after the explosion, died a week later.
}4 N$ {7 G" g$ b/ P
" z0 @3 p1 d' _8 LIn its announcement Nexen said it is addressing safety gaps in part with refresher training on workplace hazard identification, increased site supervision and safety inspections. ! Q" U9 P# t( b
! d/ n4 d' {' gThe decision to move to a SAGD-only operation was described as "entirely economic," and will result in about 350 staff layoffs, most of which will be completed by the end of 2016.
3 l& ?6 \9 I J, g3 r
+ A- [2 h" e$ I7 t& G9 t9 YThe results of the investigations were given at a news conference on Tuesday by Nexen CEO Fang Zhi and Senior Vice President of Canadian Operation Ron Bailey.
0 |6 k3 l! R+ T) S5 e; r$ w# J+ ^
4 o+ N5 D& m8 R6 p0 Z; B& {* xNexen also said it found the root cause of a July 2015 emulsion spill at Long Lake to be a "thermally-driven upheaval buckling of the pipeline, and the subsequent cooldown during the turnaround."
0 B" n$ E5 i# I; {( r0 m* U( D
5 @' }& x8 J {' [. ?' eThis was caused because of pipeline design incompatible with the muskeg ground conditions, and steps that could have been taken to mitigate the potential for buckling were not addressed. 5 x ~8 ^& H+ T8 \
& W$ O9 l B4 n& `6 A" a. O9 OThe spill poured up to five million litres of emulsion - a mixture of water, bitumen and sand - into surrounding muskeg. The spill may have been ongoing for up to two weeks when it was discovered in July 2015 by a contractor walking through the area. 7 l& O" T5 q% W U* M7 K
2 K# Q, j5 u5 T- m( v1 R6 x
In August the Alberta Energy Regulator ordered Nexen to shut down 95 pipelines until the company could prove the pipelines could be operated responsibly. The suspension was lifted in September 2015. : }8 A# b# ~* B1 L2 C
3 Q) n+ q, P7 V" d4 T; v- e' `
- with files from Vincent McDermott |
|