 鲜花( 10)  鸡蛋( 0)
|
http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com ... -and-pipeline-spill
( k* _1 \8 }/ w" ]7 Y7 Z- SNexen Energy will lay off about 350 workers from its Long Lake facility, following its release of results of internal investigations into a July 2015 pipeline spill and the January 2016 hydrocracker explosion.
7 U6 v' H K5 k! L; Y. G0 V! `
) P* i* x3 W" S: N, V# Q6 f0 UThe CNOOC-owned energy company will only be continuing its steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) operations at Long Lake, after it determined a short-term repair was not possible for the hydrocracker unit, which killed two employees when it exploded on Jan. 15, 2016.
4 f. f. R+ R# v+ ?
3 a3 F' R# V% AThe facility's upgrader has been idling since then, and will be moved into winter preservation, with no estimation of when it will be brought back into service.
, f4 m4 D/ I( h0 x* a6 O* }8 C$ n* q- H, C1 E! z
An internal investigation found the explosion was a result of work being performed that was "outside of the scope of approved work activities."
, x+ M) \( A3 E0 X! i* P6 D, ?2 Z& S& X; _4 k& p
The two employees killed, both Fort McMurray residents, were 52-year-old Drew Foster and 30-year-old Dave Williams. Foster was killed in the explosion. Williams, who was flown to the University of Alberta Hospital's burn unit hours after the explosion, died a week later.
* L$ j" Q1 a( {8 _2 O _1 Z7 J+ U* g. V8 M, T, k, C7 @
In its announcement Nexen said it is addressing safety gaps in part with refresher training on workplace hazard identification, increased site supervision and safety inspections. 8 f2 B9 A/ C8 ~# V8 u1 ^
! p0 @) j: `6 f [* O
The decision to move to a SAGD-only operation was described as "entirely economic," and will result in about 350 staff layoffs, most of which will be completed by the end of 2016. : u7 k2 Q3 X5 [* b6 J& O
" a/ m% K( d, p/ T. \ |
The results of the investigations were given at a news conference on Tuesday by Nexen CEO Fang Zhi and Senior Vice President of Canadian Operation Ron Bailey.. g0 v- }+ U& Y7 z
3 M/ g9 G9 c$ q! qNexen also said it found the root cause of a July 2015 emulsion spill at Long Lake to be a "thermally-driven upheaval buckling of the pipeline, and the subsequent cooldown during the turnaround."2 N( I9 l f* i0 [
, H% C- }& n ^( @This was caused because of pipeline design incompatible with the muskeg ground conditions, and steps that could have been taken to mitigate the potential for buckling were not addressed.
; W' ]( _; V @6 Q$ S' [& K: L) t3 s- b, w: y2 k$ d
The spill poured up to five million litres of emulsion - a mixture of water, bitumen and sand - into surrounding muskeg. The spill may have been ongoing for up to two weeks when it was discovered in July 2015 by a contractor walking through the area.
9 Y( w' }6 [3 m# d- |1 I% k8 l5 r) s' R* \) C4 t: p
In August the Alberta Energy Regulator ordered Nexen to shut down 95 pipelines until the company could prove the pipelines could be operated responsibly. The suspension was lifted in September 2015.
' N7 w6 n3 \( j% M; a" ^
, n; H# u9 {" L; Y/ k; o- with files from Vincent McDermott |
|