 鲜花( 10)  鸡蛋( 0)
|
http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com ... -and-pipeline-spill
! d/ N( I5 E+ O9 F2 q% ^: I1 A6 fNexen Energy will lay off about 350 workers from its Long Lake facility, following its release of results of internal investigations into a July 2015 pipeline spill and the January 2016 hydrocracker explosion.
. e+ e. O, w6 z2 H% r. u8 i. ?8 W! m
The CNOOC-owned energy company will only be continuing its steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) operations at Long Lake, after it determined a short-term repair was not possible for the hydrocracker unit, which killed two employees when it exploded on Jan. 15, 2016." K* `( e/ D7 _- s) g0 y
; W6 E( X/ z3 H4 QThe facility's upgrader has been idling since then, and will be moved into winter preservation, with no estimation of when it will be brought back into service.
& q! z. }+ v9 ?5 C$ l% e4 N* K7 {3 ]: n/ ^* Z& X. O
An internal investigation found the explosion was a result of work being performed that was "outside of the scope of approved work activities."
+ B+ g: _+ Z6 e+ S$ n) V2 r9 \0 ]: L% K7 e: l; K
The two employees killed, both Fort McMurray residents, were 52-year-old Drew Foster and 30-year-old Dave Williams. Foster was killed in the explosion. Williams, who was flown to the University of Alberta Hospital's burn unit hours after the explosion, died a week later. * e( }0 Y; o8 N9 p( e @" q
5 L8 r$ R' @5 U9 v
In its announcement Nexen said it is addressing safety gaps in part with refresher training on workplace hazard identification, increased site supervision and safety inspections. 6 S( T% Y6 Q: E
" P; ?, m& Z' J+ s/ j+ wThe decision to move to a SAGD-only operation was described as "entirely economic," and will result in about 350 staff layoffs, most of which will be completed by the end of 2016.
: Q3 l$ ]2 ^. p; ?( ?; {4 O* X, s: A& `' ~
The results of the investigations were given at a news conference on Tuesday by Nexen CEO Fang Zhi and Senior Vice President of Canadian Operation Ron Bailey.
7 ]5 j5 a$ N+ ?5 D8 ]/ R
! z. b m( P$ ^Nexen also said it found the root cause of a July 2015 emulsion spill at Long Lake to be a "thermally-driven upheaval buckling of the pipeline, and the subsequent cooldown during the turnaround."
- K+ W; Q& |# A. M1 F
: m8 c* ~+ j! r: T* FThis was caused because of pipeline design incompatible with the muskeg ground conditions, and steps that could have been taken to mitigate the potential for buckling were not addressed.
" ]: c {- O) S0 n+ k2 L: y" v* i
The spill poured up to five million litres of emulsion - a mixture of water, bitumen and sand - into surrounding muskeg. The spill may have been ongoing for up to two weeks when it was discovered in July 2015 by a contractor walking through the area. & \+ D& g. d. g, B2 v
2 ^1 e5 e; N+ J/ @1 t( _7 }, _. M
In August the Alberta Energy Regulator ordered Nexen to shut down 95 pipelines until the company could prove the pipelines could be operated responsibly. The suspension was lifted in September 2015. 5 l& ?# s+ ~: D- C' Y" P7 @
4 f6 B1 {" J/ c. C2 Z: R# r
- with files from Vincent McDermott |
|