注册
查看: 4001|回复: 1

Grandma Alma’s life story

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-1-25 14:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Grandma Alma’s life story+ Y% [9 e% h6 s6 t

/ v& T0 t+ A9 o3 u$ t- n--- Told by Grandma Alma Nowak. Recorded by Grandson Lucas.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2008-1-30 12:10 | 显示全部楼层
1.        Alma was born" {, k2 w# }; V0 `+ G5 `

0 }& _' R% S  E# w; i% ]9 n0 j+ w3 W) g" n" \( ]7 `; a$ ?
3 `1 D+ F' F' Y6 a8 Q; S
The moon shone bright over Poland that night in 1905 when Alma was born. Filip Duda stared out the window at the flat, fertile land where generations of his family had planted and harvested. Now and again he rubbed his unshaven jaw with a big hand or ran his fingers through his thick, dark hair. Eventually, he turned and looked at the door that led to the adjacent room.
" @" n7 c9 K& C4 l) L1 ^0 |2 T/ w! F" x- D+ r4 g
* N& p/ J7 a1 l( _

7 C9 G1 b& T+ b“We have three girls,” he mused. “Two are Patricia’s by her marriage to Nick and one is my own. It would be nice to have a son.”
" ?0 w: \7 J; j# c9 b, C/ w
# A4 S( X5 l% u- k2 _9 x) x) n- N4 a" |; ~! X6 |
Exhaustion swept over him. He slumped into a chair, crossed his arms to the big farm table, lowered his head, and fell fast asleep.
8 y7 }$ [( u1 [# W( ^& g7 u
- @3 u  l' N/ \# x; T$ C% X" E0 f8 {2 @9 L; y
“Wake up, Filip. Filip, wake up and meet you new daughter. Another girl when you have three already. Here is she for you to hold. Patricia is fine. She is resting from her night’s labor.”
( N7 W, B7 a: g& ^4 R
' _( A' a( W1 B1 L1 R4 B5 y3 P& o, z/ |$ l% V
“Another girl? Ah, well, no one in this house questions the will of God,” Filip replied through an enormous yawn, but in spite of his words, he couldn’t help feeling disappointed. Nevertheless, when he took the baby into his arms and cuddled it against his chest, disappointment changed into pleasure. The household awakened to his laughter. Three little girls rushed down the stairs and into the room to see their new sister. They took turns to hold the baby, with Filip’s big hands steadying the precious bundle. After a while, the maid took them upstairs to wash and dress for the day.
* J/ V+ {1 Q3 i( o0 g) K$ h. F  X( y# o$ d# V& ~5 W. |  B

" R2 y  L1 k2 N. j7 V  _$ [“This one we will name Alma.” Filip declared as he carried the baby to its mother’s arms.

0 L  B$ f! g/ k2 Q. C3 _5 N
# I/ Y. q5 M- @$ n( q) D[ 本帖最后由 Lucas 于 2008-1-30 12:54 编辑 ]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-1 20:56 , Processed in 0.143980 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On, APC On.