Two Choices

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-5-12 09:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Two Choices
; D9 j/ m! O4 Z; r$ P% y>  {: X4 r- U: w/ E
> What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line,
' m4 A6 j- U' [: h> there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the# |, P  A5 G  D' S  z: T
> same choice?1 X& ~' G+ G8 w2 r! m
>
! a2 i. i! {" `/ J/ W> At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children,5 ]9 i7 v) @0 w9 F# S2 L
> the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be) U/ @0 g3 F! F+ \9 b8 `& T5 {  z
> forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated( P- ?' ~" R! |4 _/ s* o9 Z, p- V; ^
> staff, he offered a question:
: R5 \" @& J- E4 m  h( K+ w* G>
+ V8 K9 S6 d1 U3 _4 t7 D" N/ @* c> 'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is- e$ \& ~& d: A+ o3 Y( @
> done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other/ V! I( P) O3 H# \
> children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the
3 Y, Q# ^% o( \# M+ T; N& u> natural order of things in my son?'# D8 G6 A- x4 C0 l! n3 w2 g
>
3 `; W7 Z! S  b. k) j  U4 G> The audience was stilled by the query.% ^7 s# B/ p2 T' t$ H3 n. H7 T& t0 p
>
, a5 t* ~3 J& S8 x% a2 q> The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, physically7 N4 P/ K& Y( Y& f' e$ W" }
> and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize
3 m3 \) E! Q: b> true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people( a( Q$ r, m7 D' q! i
> treat that child.'3 m1 L" L9 w8 L( ~0 ?
>0 `& T- P$ D4 ~+ _
> Then he told the following story:1 y7 w, d* m- R8 u! R# |) Y
>2 T5 Q$ B. B. q* C0 c6 X
> Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were( T- r& p9 \! w5 c# J, }
> playing baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' Shay's. I8 @$ ]6 [% C  [) u' P
> father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their3 f3 M& Y6 B3 K, ?4 |! ~; L; Z
> team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play,6 w1 W; d+ A3 r) _
> it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be* t& K) l* G1 p" X1 O
> accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.
( b+ E9 V! o# C- j! `>& w* \, \! n7 E! i5 G1 x
> Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not
  p) I4 F4 \. ~# l8 ^: g/ N> expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and
/ c. \/ {4 y5 O3 K. H> said, 'We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I
% m; M! N' e" s& E> guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth* A/ A# D- i; \: t
> inning.'
4 e- I- |# A& u* B>
9 O  ^* B$ y# T> Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a
6 i3 G) H% j$ Y, _" @5 r* ^! O> team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in) c2 O# ?, I5 h2 i! J
> his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the  w$ D+ V/ v  i% [! S' v& z* E
> bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still
$ a$ c) u& D1 e1 q- H: k4 d2 g> behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and
. {! A7 W0 ?& _> played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was) c/ Z. U5 y" }4 E7 s6 g  ?+ u# X
> obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from8 `- ^$ {7 W8 O  {" x
> ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the% ?. }' q/ s) e- G% `4 T
> ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases
7 N+ i! P+ t5 L, p1 P  e# k! G$ P* }* i> loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be2 O/ G( d- w( v3 d
> next at bat.
' X. ~9 c, [. T8 r7 O1 c1 h3 l>
% `+ ~+ d5 S! i* @% K8 }> At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the
, Y( p; r- u" W* X# x, M3 n7 n3 A; W> game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat Everyone knew that a hit was all
- m6 K6 M; n/ G# I" _> but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly,
) ^0 c9 E5 @2 g& F% v  y+ f6 a> much less connect with the ball.9 M- r0 E% o: i$ [* A
> However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the# r  c+ C7 `8 V# S8 w- v% F
> other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved
. _1 e8 F4 @( Z( W. E- U1 }> in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make
( d) |6 R* S4 H* }8 i, @6 H> contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The& @5 \- M6 l& ?1 @0 l
> pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay.- {8 F2 U5 O3 p0 y8 v
> As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball
: d! ^8 o$ z# E) t> right back to the pitcher.
3 J+ }! H$ i1 k! F$ o  W$ a- \) r>
. K/ ^6 R0 Z# h# ^# I  C7 t> The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and7 P& z5 h; _( z1 g
> could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been
% l1 u7 O/ t: `$ S, Z; x/ Y. R> out and that would have been the end of the game.& u) a' x# t6 M6 V
>
1 z+ u3 R9 q. Q* t> Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out% ~+ A" ?3 O# [9 L7 ?' f5 I
> of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started
4 p9 y6 k4 @2 A6 B& V& U! I> yelling, 'Shay, run to first! Run to first!' Never in his life had Shay ever+ U0 y1 d" E* F
> run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline,4 i& V; B6 Q. {( F
> wide-eyed and startled.
9 |' t. P6 R3 M3 Y; V2 y8 U2 g  N>" c' n8 z" U, f/ i
> Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!' Catching his breath, Shay. m% V; u: \" f  G# w+ Z
> awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the
3 u9 s  |2 t  x> base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had
- B" F: z5 L& z8 W9 e  U9 [4 {> the ball ... The smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to
; G4 Z# S: s* n) d) z8 R& @> be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the" L% O2 n4 C& v, c8 X8 H
> second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intention So he,; v1 x9 k$ `. @$ s4 O; |- X- h; h
> too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's3 B' ~- H7 K( S- W* k4 l
> head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him7 \, x2 v; M1 _1 X# D
> circled the bases toward home.
! Q. k5 A) U1 P  Q7 {* ?" F/ m>
. ]  x5 g8 O" o& X& f> All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'- I# |. n* m+ `9 d. Q3 G
>- [% F) v# s0 Z- @+ W
> Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by
: n; O0 ~# ?, `+ z4 W/ {' t% \) ^% i' D> turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third!
# t3 f" o; K: C. g# L6 D. L> Shay, run to third!'
  l: |% i! @$ M7 ]% S0 n5 D+ B/ w* }>
2 o' l2 x/ q% j2 ~1 R> As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on
& [' S: a6 A7 e' s5 |> their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!' Shay ran to home, stepped# X$ X- n5 s* O0 K# [6 Q, [
> on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the  ^) o+ S- H# w' K: ]7 L  O( v
> game for his team.- X1 p6 ^( I7 }
>, W0 g0 |# Q" w9 k0 |
> 'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,( s: ]8 V" R$ \  |& K! B9 a
> 'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity
6 G8 X1 t& T5 A. W! F: R> into this world'.6 k6 x# I4 ?2 L; s; C7 [% |/ q2 P" T
>
9 V/ C5 t  j. @> Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never
5 k& K* H! V, f9 a- U% h$ w> forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and
/ _8 P" u# g9 _; _" K> seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!" x( y4 r& B8 Q$ p
>
! ~& ~. b. N* w$ ~& B& V% z> AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands of jokes4 E0 F9 Q. N; b: E3 l$ h5 W
> through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending
& @5 x; o. ~4 @> messages about life choices, people hesitate. The crude, vulgar, and often
% x" p; ^2 Z: y3 I3 B> obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion about decency$ x- E/ v9 y: s8 [+ M# b& g
> is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.
9 g# Y) K# N3 U' X- x8 P>7 e2 ~/ {2 b2 Y6 G: c  o7 K1 g
> If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're) O. E. z4 J2 v. W! P
> probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the2 N+ h6 |) m: {6 ~/ |
> 'appropriate' ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person who6 n% B: g+ g8 I5 v, p0 G
> sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all have
6 R" u8 W# x1 y5 l8 _> thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the 'natural
9 P' o& \) r- s. H6 Z2 Z9 m> order of things.' So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people
4 C$ g, h# q( ]. ^8 G( M# Y. ^' s> present us with a choice: Do we pass along a little spark of love and9 A/ C# I: R, c; d: K
> humanity or do we pass up those opportunities and leave the world a little
/ z3 Y: I  j+ K0 N4 \" ?, N> bit colder in the process?
' Q3 }0 [% p6 q; q- v>+ Z8 z3 c6 y( g! X) s& \
> A wise man once said every society is judged by4 e* z5 I# b- r! _5 A( ~
> how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.1 h7 T6 @. c  L8 s: A, @7 q; O
>
3 ^/ c. k. ]: H- r* l> You now have two choices:; `4 [3 H$ [9 R) H7 `
> 1. Delete4 B/ T$ {: j; i) `; x
> 2. Forward
3 V/ q6 a3 D9 `' u( f: b3 \( d>$ j5 }8 t1 ]1 n1 X" {9 Z" o# I
> May your day, be a Shay Day.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-9-22 05:48 , Processed in 0.102210 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.