找回密码
 注册
查看: 1817|回复: 3

[爱城新闻] 2 killed by Edmonton LRT train ID'd

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2010-11-10 19:34 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Family members and former classmates have identified the two teens struck and killed by an LRT train south of the Coliseum station Tuesday night as Jamie Kootenay and Delia Papastesis, both 19.
) g9 J6 {! O6 m) B) N5 c, l* j
1 A) M7 x$ O/ I/ Y3 w# jThey were hit by the train just after 8 p.m. Kootenay died at the scene. Papastesis was trapped under the train, and emergency crews spent almost an hour trying to free her. She died in hospital.
5 E' h9 Z# c  X8 }5 }$ D2 M$ |! C3 @, [( b. S% [
"I saw her yesterday," Papastesis's sister Janice Randhile said between sobs. "I saw both of them yesterday. She was so happy. I just couldn't believe that this is happening ... It's just not fair. She's just too young." $ s3 }7 `& g8 j. O9 X3 e( y

9 ?4 Q3 E, B0 P, x3 r, t2 IRandhile joined friends and family to lay bouquets of flowers beside the track where her sister died. Another sister, Jennifer Lake, saw Papastesis hours before the tragedy.
0 [: n4 ]( [7 H- p" y
/ U; x: m7 W$ o: G) \"She was walking her little dog," Lake told CBC News while visiting the scene Wednesday. "She looked so happy. I never stopped to say hello, but I didn't think that was going to be the last time I'd see her again.
( M$ K6 ]* Y* w* J: P, \( N0 F, K4 C; T$ T% s
"She's a really kind-hearted girl. She had a lot of love for everybody. I'm sure going to miss her though. " x* }9 k' @+ e4 Q
5 E0 r$ z% ~8 p' P: b1 m1 {
"I think she was just at the wrong place or the wrong time. "
- K$ c! N6 X  K4 ?0 ]6 L% ]# ?5 L9 X" X, b% p/ ^' k
Both Papastesis and Kootenay were former students at Amiskwaciy Academy, a school for aboriginal students near the City Centre Airport, said an Edmonton Public School Board official.
7 ~$ s7 r9 ^, c& E
/ [* C* o1 H' x* c: bPapastesis was a recent graduate while Kootenay attended the school in the past. The two had been dating for two years.
3 _& g3 X- [& A0 M
$ Y9 X& N; |, r- ?: a/ ~"If you were in a relationship, you would be inspired to be like them," said Jessica Johnson, a former classmate at the school. 0 I# R3 u4 z* x+ b/ Z+ {6 A

! s' E* L: R+ @0 A% l6 T6 ZThe school is grieving, Johnson said. ; p( a3 e1 ?( O0 u( o9 b

3 r8 w' }/ ?6 b# z6 \& Z6 N6 Z* n"It's hard because it's kind of like a community there — like I said, it was like my home there," said Johnson. "I feel like I lost some great family."
+ a) @# H2 K6 W8 D% j# S2 R! b7 t8 A* R8 _  O  M. E5 q' f+ f
Teachers informed students about the tragedy when they arrived Wednesday morning. Grief counsellors were on hand to help out.
2 n3 l; `! k" ?9 k7 K5 F4 q' Z. K' P; c- N! L5 t
"It's sad," said Johnson. "Everyone is down. Teachers are just putting on movies because no one wants to do work. People are crying. It's hard to be around." 8 J+ k. q" s: H1 H% h4 K
( U( \$ u' b1 d6 m' k
Appeared couple was fighting : ]. `; |; j' ~

8 f3 K% f- I% W0 {0 W- _5 D+ xPolice said six young adults were walking east of a marked LRT crossing at 82 Street and 113 Avenue, when Kootenay and Papastesis began running in the direction of the tracks.
* i( h9 @3 L4 j. u6 {5 [: k6 B' n3 o0 J  n# o; A5 o
The pair were hit by the train. Emergency services responded after a 911 call from the LRT operator. Witnesses said it looked as though the two were fighting.
, T  j. c0 D5 y' S* a) o6 W  _, w# w& M+ r
Brittany McLeod was driving by when they almost ran into the woman. 3 s& r% K' e# a" a
" H( E1 c. R, s4 @1 H
“We almost hit her with the car, and then they took off,” she said. - Z# n/ x, D' H; {8 b8 J9 G
& I; {  `9 g0 t3 }/ T. m$ C. k! F
McLeod thought the woman was being chased. 2 r; z, n4 q, p% K
- p' s& e; y4 t! B0 z6 G
“Like they were running,“ she told CBC News at the scene. “There were kids there. There was a girl. She just dropped to the ground and started punching, and, I don’t know, they were fighting."
% J0 L; q$ R( l3 B$ I1 X
3 F+ |- v  _2 ]: R8 r  {5 H# nFriends were angry at media reports suggesting a man was seen holding a woman down on the tracks just before the train's arrival. Homicide detectives have been called in, but police are not calling the incident a crime. + g$ {( g2 |- ]5 F

, t/ ]6 k- a1 M' e: q6 U* ^( I"Jamie wouldn't hold down Delia like that," said Nolan Shone, who was in the group of people walking with the pair at the time of the incident. 4 U3 a- @# y$ r% A7 C
: ?2 l. D% k  s. R
Shone, who was friends with the two since Grade 8, said he was turned the other way when the pair was hit. When he ran to the train, he saw Kootenay's body underneath. % B: k; t* H6 ^5 B9 G3 \

6 t& X0 l" ]- j"I think they just bolted in front of the train," Shone said. "Just unlucky." 9 l7 Y, b' I! {4 c) X7 |) E4 j) m
7 W( u5 T5 ]8 O$ s
Shone said Kootenay and Papastesis were both caring people. 1 t; A" T. W% E/ T" \* n
  i7 P9 W- ]0 `* c
"They're loved," he said. "They're not going to be replaced. They're going to be missed."
" m5 p, ^8 Y# Y/ q% {3 h4 f$ ?  }& Q$ r) C/ B$ i
Police took the other people in the group to the downtown station for interviews, said EPS spokesman Chad Orydzuk. 8 h6 l$ U( W2 w  ~! M8 m, Q

$ ?- U  ~& l. e, HAbout 50 passengers were on the train at the time. None were hurt. They were moved to a second train and taken to Clareview station. LRT service was suspended between Coliseum and Churchill stations.
0 E/ P/ b- K+ h$ y3 V* g
0 d2 x, Q5 b, X1 oAutopsies are scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.
: M" W0 U- {; o9 t# g# l9 \1 U5 D# E( m4 A2 E; J8 g
The most recent fatality involving an LRT train was a man in his 30s who was killed Oct. 1, 2008, near 92 Street and 106 Avenue.
鲜花(21) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2010-11-10 23:42 | 显示全部楼层
大型搬家
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2010-11-11 07:34 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2010-11-11 19:39 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
今天从那里过,还看到悼念用的花呢
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-2 12:17 , Processed in 0.181014 second(s), 15 queries , Gzip On, APC On.