找回密码
 注册
查看: 1239|回复: 0

Edmonton proposes 4.5% tax hike for 2012

[复制链接]
鲜花(44) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-11-9 19:57 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
The City of Edmonton is proposing a 4.5 per cent tax increase in its 2012 budget. 0 q7 d9 {. G! P( S. c* a$ p

% P) I4 @8 i- y& U" T2 r8 cFor a typical Edmonton home assessed at $365,000, the budget would result in a tax increase of almost $77 for the year or about $6.42 per month for households that pay on the monthly plan, estimates the city.
* i" K1 u2 J$ D' `4 ^
0 B  v& a* r2 aCity council is beginning the month-long process of finalizing the level of services and taxes Edmontonians will see in 2012.
% l0 z# g" t" E9 Z, Z7 q: D5 S- x9 K) {* }2 f1 C8 b5 v
"Time and time again we hear from citizens," said Mayor Stephen Mandel. "They want snow removal; they want more police; they want better recreation centres...and it doesn't come free. 2 e# o# P- m! s$ c9 W

4 f- W4 G: x: T: \"When you have such limited taxing authority which is primarily just a property tax, it makes it difficult." - Y7 |5 G0 Y# M7 V* l+ `) X% ^+ ~
9 P! K5 q, W- t9 T5 O) ^2 R
The proposed budget includes a three per cent hike to cover the rising cost of municipal services and 1.5 per cent to continue repairing communities under the Neighbourhood Renewal Program.
$ `- G8 L2 s% |8 x6 J
- q/ u# C) n6 n% S: o! n9 D“All services — police, fire rescue, recreation programming, parks maintenance, public transit, libraries, roadway maintenance, and a range of other services — are provided for under $5 a day in property taxes for the typical household,” said city manager Simon Farbrother.
: G" V) Q- Z2 P6 _9 k( o" F9 g1 ]4 F* `* V+ x7 W$ S
The tax increase is needed to expand transit services, emergency protection, snow removal and road maintenance into new neighbourhoods, he said. ! q4 w' \% h# K0 U# [3 R
% F/ `% P, f; W7 `3 }# Y
In addition, a number of new facilities coming on stream in 2012 such as the Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre and the Southwest Division Police Station will require operating costs and upwards of 280 employees. % X2 C3 U  G/ Z; E
3 |" Z) y: R) I- ~1 M' l$ O
The city also faces rising salaries for civic employees and growing costs of materials such as pothole fill and fuel for buses, police and parks vehicles, said Farbrother. ; U' g  s" c; A) L# p% Q! u
, x( h) X" q% _
The chief of police is also looking for 68 new officers to help with a ballooning murder rate.
3 |* p+ E# `9 h4 I+ o/ _' u( K1 {* L; s9 _! n& f
Even with the tax hike, the city must look at cutting staff and reducing services.
  o+ U8 i! `/ g* |# |' p+ d7 y( I+ o2 Z+ J
The budget proposes eliminating 78 jobs and eliminating or reducing services such as planting flowers and shrubs, cutting transit hours and halt cleaning back alleys.
  z' q; ~' }. W6 x" {
4 ^1 X0 R* d. G4 H8 R: g& xCouncil will hold a public hearing on the budget on Nov. 23, then begin discussions on Nov. 25. : [7 d; K) t% ?" ^: }- ?0 I, w' w
9 Q* \5 D. y0 U& w) U; Q. G
Budget meetings should wrap up by the middle of December, when the final tax increase for 2012 will be determined.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-9-29 23:14 , Processed in 0.176664 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.